These are the *winning* cupcakes I made for week one. They are a lemon cupcake, with a raspberry filling, lemon cream cheese frosting topped with a fresh raspberry. These were a crowd pleaser for sure, I’m still being asked about them! Here is the recipe:
Raspberry -filled Lemon cupcakes
2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 2/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp lemon zest (or 1 tsp lemon extract)
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk
Seedless raspberry preserves or Lemon curd for filling (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 24 muffin cups with non-stick baking spray or line with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy. Mix in eggs one at a time, followed by vanilla extract. Stir in 1/3 of the flour mixture, followed by half of the milk. Add another 1/3 of the flour and the remaining milk, then stir in the remaining flour, mixing only until no streaks of flour remain.
4. Divide batter evenly into prepared muffin cups, filling each approx 2/3 to 3/4 full.
5. Bake for 16-19 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the top springs back when lightly pressed. Cool completely on a wire rack.
6. If desired, use a pastry bag and tip to fill the cupcakes with seedless raspberry preserves or lemon curd.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Adapted from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook: Bridal Edition
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
4 1/2 – 4 3/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp. lemon peel
1. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, and lemon juice on low to medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
2. Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well.
3. Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Stir in the lemon peel.