These delightful little cupcakes I made were at the request of my dear Taylor, the citrus lover. They are a basic chocolate cake with an orange cream cheese frosting:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
2 cups sugar
3/4 cups cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk, shaken
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
Preheat oven to 350
1. Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on low speed until combined.
2. In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. With mixer still on low, add the coffee and stir just to combine, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
3. Pour batter into cupcake liners, about 3/4 full for each.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 20-22 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.
5. Cool completely then frost.
Orange cream cheese frosting
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Beat cream cheese, butter or margarine, orange peel, and orange juice until creamy. Beat in confectioner’s sugar until blended and smooth.
- Chill for an hour and pipe onto cupcakes